Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chinatown



Long walk with a friend in San Francisco on a bright Sunday afternoon. In Chinatown we slowed down and wandered through some of the side streets.









If I wanted to open a business on the ground floor of a building painted salmon-orangey-pink with frosted green trim, I would like to think I'd have enough vision to order my new awning in purple and yellow.




Up in the top left-hand corner of the picture immediately above, I see a pair of windows carefully covered over from the inside with newspapers. I wonder what is in that room. Standing and staring at the papered-over windows I started thinking about Nadja Michael's magnetic Salome, which I saw last night with friends at San Francisco Opera. I thought it was one of their best productions in years, due in no small measure to the verve of new music director Nicola Luisotti.