Friday, July 29, 2011

Leanne Shapton


I used some of Leanne Shaptone's painted lettering as my share of Silas & Eppie this morning.



We never know ahead of time how the individual images we post side by side will appear once we see them combined, but today I liked how strong the black and red writing looked alongside my daughter's photo of a cube-shaped light-filled entrance hall with wallpaper on the ceiling. Then I tracked Gee, Thanks back to its creator's web site in order to make a link. Then I got distracted from the Silas & Eppie task. Instead began poking around among various samples of Shapton's work, including illustrations from three of her highly wonderful books: Native Trees of Canada, Was She Pretty? and Important Artifacts and Personal Property from the Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, Including Books, Street Fashion, and Jewelry. My best discovery was a folder called Pattern Paintings. I certainly do wish that I could see these paintings (watercolor or finger-paint or whatever) reproduced as textiles. Below, a few to admire.