Thursday, October 11, 2012

La Piel que Habito


Shot in 2010 and released in 2011, Pedro Almodóvar's latest film was called La Piel que Habito (The Skin I Live In). I knew I would watch it eventually (since there are no Almodóvar films I haven't watched at one time or another) but from the initial hype I got the impression that this would be one of the losers. According to my standards, Almodóvar puts out about an equal number of losers and winners. And even though I cannot imagine not seeing them all, I am naturally in less of a hurry to see the less successful ones. But ha-ha. This vehicle for Antonio Banderas (working with Almodóvar again for the first time in over twenty years) was one of the winners, contradicting all my predictions, and I should have watched it sooner. 



 




Jean-Paul Gaultier designed the body suits (some in black, some in flesh-tones) worn in most of her scenes by Elena Anaya, the ambiguous ingenue who stars opposite Banderas.